Jump 2020 BOX PARTNER

This flavour, the female founders behind the Jump Box are diving deep into the pivotal moments in their lives that helped them get to where they are today.

Despite having a Ph.D. in psychology, Maureen Kelly, founder and CEO of tarte™, shares how her dearest for beauty eventually led her to start a pare care line in her i-sleeping room apartment.

Before I started tarte™, I was in a completely different field. I had 2 Masters' degrees in psychology and prior work experience in interior design, but I was always really an entrepreneur at center. I wanted to start my own business organization, merely it's the classic story – I didn't have enough experience, I didn't take enough time, life always seemed to become in the mode and let'southward face it…I was scared.

Finally, when I was working towards my Ph.D. in psychology, I started to think nearly what I actually wanted in life. I knew it had to be something in the beauty manufacture considering I've been a natural-born beauty junkie since I was a v-year-erstwhile. I would sneak into my mom's makeup purse to give my younger sister's Holly Hobbie Doll a makeover.

And, to be honest, I was frustrated by the number of beauty products out at that place that were sold in boring blackness pots and filled with harsh chemicals and preservatives. I couldn't fifty-fifty pronounce most of the ingredients listed. So I wanted to create a makeup line that promotes beauty from the inside and out, and offers alternatives that are chock-full of natural ingredients while still being totally chic and luxurious.

I'yard not a makeup creative person, unlike a lot of founders of cosmetic companies, but I was able to draw from my groundwork in psychology and interior blueprint to bring a totally different perspective to the beauty earth.

I think it was also my feel as a consumer that really helped me make the jump. I personally spend about five minutes (maybe less now that I'yard a mom of two boys) doing my makeup in the morning time. And so I wanted to cater to women just like me. I wanted to accept the stress out of makeup and create products that were user-friendly and focused on what works for real women.

I ultimately launched tarte™, a line of low-maintenance, life-tested products that deliver results, from my one-chamber apartment in New York City. Nosotros're celebrating our 20th birthday this twelvemonth and I'thou amazed past how far tarte™ has come since then. I'chiliad so excited about what the next 20 years volition take in store. If I could get back and tell that younger version of myself annihilation, information technology would exist to trust your gut, do what yous love, and never take 'no' for an answer.

xx, Maureen Kelly

For more than inspiring stories, read about how this actress-turned-entrepreneur plant dazzler in failure.